"It was all a dream, I used to read WORDUP! magazine!!"
I did an interview earlier with my boy Houston for his new TV show that he is shooting the pilot episode for. One of the questions he asked me was what do I look for in a woman. One of the qualities that I named was that I like a classy woman with a "sprinkle" of ratchet. I explained how I enjoy a woman that has the ability to recite the lyrics of my favorite songs with me but I don't want her to be about THAT life. While I was driving home it hit me. In dating and relationships, we are constantly searching for someone that is able to finish our verses. We all want someone that can hear and understand the melody that our heart is playing and can remix a rhythm that was once chopped and screwed and somehow turn our heartbeat into the snare drum from BBD's Poison song... Music is therapeutic. Music allows you to go to a place where you never thought you could go. You can travel to distant places using just your imagination and the lyrics to your favorite song. Sometimes music takes us to a sad place and we try our best to open our eyes as fast as we can so that we can stop or at least pause that memory so we can worry about it another time. Then there are times where a certain song can have us closing our eyes, licking our lips, smelling the beauty, feeling the rhythm, hearing the melody, looking over our shoulder to the past, and gazing into our future. Single people are like lyricist wandering aimlessly searching for producers with dope beats. It seems us single people have ALL of the words and lyrics to make a dope verse but we just need someone in our lives to make it all make sense. We walk around with a notebook full of rhymes and life lessons and for some reason we still don't have a "producer" or any hit records. We all look perfect on paper but are nothing but melted wax and vinyl in real life. I love Hip Hop and I love women who love Hip Hop... We are all searching for someone that knows who was sitting in the limo while we had our eyes closed, licking our lips, smelling the beauty, feeling the rhythm, hearing the melody while looking over our shoulder to the past and gazing into the future. We all just want to know who was sitting next to Salt-N-Pepa... #FinishMyVerse
-J. Wiggins

7 comments:
Really nice and so true...
..... and heavy-d up in the limousine..... ;-)
I met a gentleman out one night, and as we were talking he noticed the tattoo on my hand. "HipHop". He looked disgusted and bewildered and asked me "Is it THAT serious to have it permanently marked on you?" Sufficed to say, he left that gathering that night without these 7digits.
The Most Beautifulest Thing In This World, was THIS post here....Real Tears.
The completed verse is: "…and Heavy D up in the limousine. Hangin' pictures on my wall. Every Saturday Rap Attack, Mr. Magic, Marley Marl. I let my tape rock 'til my tape popped. Smokin' weed and bamboo, sippin' on private stock. Way back, when I had the red and black lumberjack. With the hat to match. Remember Rappin' Duke, duh-ha, duh-ha. You never thought that hip hop would take it this far. Now I'm in the limelight 'cause I rhyme tight. Time to get paid, blow up like the World Trade. Born sinner, the opposite of a winner. Remember when I used to eat sardines for dinner. Peace to Ron G, Brucey B, Kid Capri Funkmaster Flex, Lovebug Starsky. I'm blowin' up like you thought I would. Call the crib, same number same hood. It's all good."
"...I may groove to those words when they’re lying on top of a dope beat or a soulful fiddle, but I don’t believe any of it really."
YOU ARE MY MUSE.
I love this, J!!! So true.. I think everybody can relate to this one. You summed it all up perfectly!
Absolutely beautiful J. Everything you wrote is sooo real. Thank you for your honest expression of the things that some of hold within.
T
i love a little ratchet
Post a Comment