If you like the Blog, become a FOLLOWER!!!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Inside The Club Part 1 - Lack Of Leadership

*Wigg Sets Up the typical club night scenario...*

It is about 10pm central standard time. My alarm sounds off and informs me that I need to wake up... with an attitude of course. The combination of sleeping in the middle of my big empty bed and my short arms really isn't a good look for someone who is trying to get that five extra minutes of sleep. I just can't seem to reach and hit that snooze button in time. By the time I'm able to reach over and touch it, I'm already pissed off and awake. What a way to start off my evening. I immediately head to the shower after I put on some "get crunk" music. Like clock work, I step out of the shower and head straight to my phone. In the 10-15 minutes that it took me to take a shower, I have already received 2-3 text messages. All of the messages say something like this...

"Whats going on tonight? I know you know where the hot spot is..."
"Can I get into the party with YOU?"
Or... "How much is it going to cost?"

Rarely do I respond to these text messages. For one, I'm trying to get to the event that I was hired to shoot. For two, it is almost a waste of time trying to respond to text messages like this. I always tell people to look on my website to see what is hot. I generally post at least a flyer per week that details the event that you HAVE TO BE AT. "How much does it cost?".... since I'm not hosting the party, I generally have to idea how much it cost to get into the club... lol... It sounds retarded but true. I have no idea. I digress... The lack of leadership takes place when I get to the club.

After I park my car, I step up to the door and holla at the bouncers. The bouncers that work the venues that I shoot are always mad cool. We are pretty much on a first name basis and I'm always excited to see them when I step into the building... The promotor that I'm working for is generally in the vicinity of the door so I always make it a point to make them see me so that they don't think I'm late or something. lol... From the time that I speak to them till the time I head to the DJ booth to get the first pics of the night, my phone is vibrating like crazy. It feels like something bad has happened so of course I decide to check my phone... It reads "6 New Text Messages". I check them and they ALL say the same thing. "Is it packed?" Hmm.... Does it really matter if it is packed or not? Does it? If everyone who texted me asking me if the club was packed actually went inside the club, then yes.... the club would be packed. The problem is with the lack of social leadership in the African American community here in Oklahoma City. Lets break this down a little further.

The average woman takes from 4 to 6 hours to get ready. Shopping and maintenance are factored into the time. So much attention to detail goes into a woman's outfit and it is nothing short of impressive. From the freakum dress to the sexy heals, seductive necklace, enticing earrings, and hairstyle that compliments the whole package. I know and respect what women go through to prepare themselves for an evening out on the town. I'm just not sure why a woman would go through all of that just to ride outside the club while sending text messages that say, "Is it packed?" Once again... does it matter? Does the club have to be full or packed for YOU to have a good time? Are you letting the party choice of others determine whether your outfit was worth being seen that night or not? I don't get it and I just don't understand.

Fellas lack social leadership but ours is on a different level of retardation. Contrary to popular belief, we like to look fresh when we step out too. Even the brothas who only rock white tees try to keep those joints clean. lol... Others wear designer shirts and shoes That cost upwards of $150 each THEN have the nerve to complain about the entry price being anything over $5. What is $10 to someone who has on more than $400 worth of clothing? To make matters worse, we walk into the club and just stand there... We don't do ANYTHING... We don't dance... We don't buy any drinks for the ladies... hell, we don't even try to holla at the ladies until we catch them in the parking lot right before they get into their cars. I have been to parties where it seemed like ALL the men were on one side and ALL of the women were on the other side. Nobody wanted to speak to the members of the opposite sex. It felt like I was at my 6th grade back to school dance and all the guys were afraid of the girls cause they had cooties... It just doesn't make sense to me.

So what is the problem? Is there a lack of leadership in the nightlife community? Why do people want to know if the club is packed or not before THEY enter? Why do people ask questions like, "Who is all there?" before they decide if THEY want to come out or not? Why is $10 a big deal for club entry when you actually have a job and have on $400+ worth of clothing? Do we not dance anymore? What happened to the days of someone dancing so well that a small circle is formed around them as a way to isolate them as an elite party mover? I just don't get it. Can someone please help me understand? Comments are always welcome.

-J. Wiggins-
From the inside looking out...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trust and believe that this small mindedness doesn't reach very far. I have been to cities where none of the issues that you have raised are concerns to the party goers. I personally think it is a lack of class. Oklahoma is a collection of a$$-backward-moving people. We will never be on the cutting edge of anything. We are not a community of innovators; we are a community of followers! I mean check the statistics after voting..."change", I think not. I hate to be the glass is half empty person on this one, but I have given up on Oklahoman's ability to do anything different from what they have been doing for the last several generations. It is a disgrace because this goes beyond just the "club scene"…this is evident in the daily lives of this group of people who hold the future in their hands. God help us.

Anonymous said...

You are officially “the truth”. Lol. For the blog you posted. Living in Houston, a lot is different. The women, the fellas, everything. It seems like there’s a lot Less hater-ism in Houston, everybody has their own grind and is getting paper no matter what, of course you have some people with what some of my folks call that “slave mentality” but I don’t find it to be as big of a thing as compared to here. I was born in Oklahoma city but I wasn’t raised here, I’ve had to chance to visit many places outside of this state because my stepfather was in the military, so I’m really thankful to have seen more places than most people have. Now I do consider myself someone that’s not too bad to look at but to tell you the truth out of all the places I’ve been to in my life a lot of these Ladies just have really bad attitudes, I don’t know what it is. When I go to Houston, Kansas, VA, etc I can actually converse with females without the attitude, they tell me their situation and that’s what it is. Here in OKC I’ve actually come to the point of not even trying anymore, and that’s a shame. Moving forward to my brothas: To me it seems like a lot of my brothas would rather tussle with another dude than a get with a female. It’s as simple as that. to address the issue of people asking whether it’s packed or not, I would be more selective to who I give my number to….

Conclusion: people need to realize that life is short and we need to stop trying to act like we have something to prove. Have fun. I really hope Obama’s Presidency inspires everybody in our community to change the way we think or at least create a spark of ambition in those who need it, but then again reality sets in and I know it might take a little more. I love my people but……WE GOT TO DO BETTER!

Let go of that Slave mentality, Get that Willie Lynch up out cha!! lol

Anonymous said...

I agree the women in Oklahoma think they are all that a average lookin broad can get away with thinkin they are dimes just because of the lack of females in oklahoma in general. This the only city where females turn down free drinks from guys what kind of shit is that your too good to drink a free drink.The decent looking ladies get treated like queens and that real dimes in this city have stalkers so I see where they are coming from but damn lose the ego ya digg. Ross

Anonymous said...

Ok lets get real Obama as President is not going to change everything in the world especially not the club scene in Oklahoma when he said its time for a change I dont think he had the club in mind.

Anonymous said...

I agree!! If it's just 10 people in the club...I'm gonna be on the dance floor doin my stanky leg!! lol. Another thing that people don't realize is that in other cities you're going to be paying $20 or more to get in the "good" clubs so I don't see why people complain about cost. I'm always down for a bargain though..don't get it twisted...I love the "ladies get in free before 11" parties lol. But I totally feel ya...not tryin to put anyone out there but them dudes holdin up the money at Mangos (Halloween) love to flaunt and flash but if you ask the nigga to buy you a drink, it's I'm broke...and why should I even have to ask..Where are the classy gentlemen? Oklahoma seriously needs something UPSCALE...I'm just sayin!

Anonymous said...

being a Dj I see firsthand the numbness of a club atmosphere. I have played in plenty cities and out of all of those cities MY hometown is the most suspect when it comes to the club scene. I think the only question should be who is the Dj. Everything else is irrelevant. The Dj is the heartbeat of the venu. When it comes to the redsea effect that comes from everybody worried about what is going to be said about them. We are in a recession!!!!! If you pay your money get it's worth!! You can stare for free at home!!! And ladies on a side note just because we offer you a drink doesn't mean we are tagging you for the night. I have no problem what so ever buying you a drink. Another side note: fellas STOP stalking these women over a $6.00 drink. And one more side note to all club, event ,and party patrons from us real djs. Just because you never heard the song doesn't mean it's not hot. Trust your Dj. I feel like I got off the blog subject alittle, but I feel better. Sorry Wigg.

Yours truly, The Angry DJ

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've got an essay for you--wait, make that a bulleted list.

1) Hotspots - There are no consistent hot spots in the OKC nightlife scene. There's not a place that you can go that you never worry about having a bad time.

2) Promoters - Lots of promoters and entertainment companies that pop up are hosting parties but they only care about money and not about the experience and oversell their events. Then they have the nerve to get mad when the fire marshal shuts them down (case study: O-City Ent. @ Raw, 6Figure Prod. @ Mansion Party II)
2b) Promoters and Ent groups have no staying power. Here today, they have one bad party, gone tomorrow.

3) Replicating the Big City - Oklahoma liquor laws prohibit "hard" liquor being sold by the bottle in the club, so it's a joke to try to sell tables and "bottles" that are really cheap sparkling wine. And, selling tables PER PERSON no less! Seriously, if I want to stunt and have 30 people sip on my bottle of sparkling wine, then I should be able to do that.

4) Some outfits will NEVER see the light of day in Oklahoma City...or at least not before I wear them in a bigger city!

5) Where are the upscale clubs and lounges?

6) Stop letting kids in the club! Of course if someone is 18 yo they will ask those dumb questions like: "what is the dress code?"

Maaan, I could go on and on....but I'm gonna stop now. These are my observations, and I know I could start Poodle and Yellow Tea Rose Entertainment since I have such a big problem with OKC nightlife, but I don't want to do that. I'll just play in bigger cities like Chicago, DC & Vegas.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with the statement before mine. And I add this point that until something is done about it all we can do is complain. I recall when I was in Atlanta we went to work, partied, slept and started the day all over again and that was every freaking night. That was mainly because the area catered to that type of scene. Our problem here is that people try to cater to the working indvidual and we don't support it. I really honestly think that if we actually supported the NBA Wednesdays like it should (because the proceeds do have good intentions) we could start building a foundation for a better club scene and set examples for some of these wack ass club promoters and entertainment cliques to do better and stop following a trend of wack-ass-ness.

Anonymous said...

That was the realest thing I've read about OKC nightlife. Have you ever been in a club w/ ugly women and wack music and still had fun? I have. You can kick it regardless to what everybody else is doing. I have a club routine that everyone should use. I go in, go to the bar and get a patron and red bull (you can sub your drink in if you'd like), drink it quick as hell and tell myself, "I'm not leaving the dance floor til the lights come on". I go out, act a damn fool and life is good.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous with the bulleted list...You hit the nail on the head. Here are a few more observations.
2c) Classy partygoers don't care to be in a club or venue so packed that you can not even move around.

7) Let's be real. Oklahoma men do not buy drinks. I have partied in places like Chicago, ATL and LA. Never had to buy a drink cause some gentleman was always buying. Also was asked to dance and nothing was expected in return. In OKC, all the men are gonna do is stare at you on the dance floor and as J Wigg said try to holler in the parking lot.

I want to say more but I am gonna stop.

Anonymous said...

WOW Wigg!! You hit the nail on the head, but I am a little indifferent about the blog. On one hand I do agree that you should be able to have fun regardless of who is in the club or if its packed or not. Believe me I have been to a few empty clubs and still had a good time. Being a radio personality for so long and actually knowing what is going on in the city and pubbing it every saturday I think at sometimes it is too Damn much going on in one nite!! I am indifferent because I was born and raised here and I love my City!! For people to complain and say that in other cities everything is so much better I don't understand why those people are still in OKC. If its so wack then LEAVE!! If instead of everyone and they momma having "Such and Such Productions" and all these people get together and throw one big event it would be so much better. I guess going to college (OU) and going to such hot parties back in the day (You know what I'm talking about!) I never really realized that things were so wack. Anywho I will leave by saying this: For all the people who are so dissatisfied with Oklahoma nite life you can always go some where else, or get your friends together, quit complaining, find a hot spot that you go all the time and have a good time regardless!!!
Holla Back!!
KaRo

Anonymous said...

WoW! you hit this on the head. As a former DJ and Club promoter i quit dealing with Oklahoma party Crowd. Coming from the L.A scene and Managing clubs in Dallas I thought well, maybe it was the DJ, but when i helped bring outside DJ's here nothing changed. $10!!! come on that's nothing compared to the $20 you pay when you go out of town and thats before 11pm. Men, OMG, are you scared, but, wait, lets not put it on the MEN, i have met the men buying the drinks so i know they're there. Ladies, going to a club is about having FUN!! I have seen more women walk by men like they can't stand being in the club with them. Hell, ladies, if a man is about to buy your drink TAKE IT!!! just cause he wants to buy your drink doesn't always mean he wants to take you home. And men come on, A real man isn't afraid to put a little change on the table, you know your limits. Again it's about having fun enjoy yourself. You complain there are No good clubs out here, but a good club is what you make it. It's meeting new people and seeing old ones. letting loose and being stress free. And the knuckleheads need to learn to leave the fighting garbage at home or in the hood not in a club. Thats what makes a good club go bad. AND QUIT TRYING TO GET IN FREE EVERYWHERE AND SUPPORT THE NITE LIFE. JUST LIKE YOU LIKE TO GET PAID AT YOUR JOB THIS IS THERE'S!!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering when someone was going to get around to addressing the situation at hand. Much respect to for your work and these words. I am feeling you like a perve in a titty bar. I'm not famous but i am the one man party. I dont wait for my boys or my homegirls to decide whether they wanna hit the spot. I'll let em know hey this is where i'm going, either they show up or they dont. And as far as the dancing goes. Lord yes. I'll ask the ladies to dance but i feel that the dj in a since is an artist. he should paint the perfect dance atmosphere with a mix of his music and the gift of gab. i dont like to go to the booth and ask him to call all the ladies to the floor. then he thinks im hating on his job. and the only texts that i answer in the club are the ones that read "I'm outside...where you at" lmao. keep doin what you do man. "EX"

Anonymous said...

Ok, I agree with my boy Quest the only question should be who is the DJ & he knows that I have hit him up many a time to ask that question...lol But I am also guilty of asking him "What's the scene like?" and "Is it jumping" Trying to decided if it's worth me getting out my house (although it does not take me 4-6 hours! lol)

For the most part, I limit my clubbing/party life to birthdays, holiday & special occasions but I try to avoid spots that cater to the younger crowd (21 & under) and I don't like places that are super packed - can a sista get some elbow room??? IJS

But I have been guilty of paying $10 to hold up the wall! LOL You have a very valid point & have played a roll in changing my perspective on the nightlife in OKC. Because I must admit when I go out in other cities I could care less about who's there & I always get my dance on (til da break of dawn & beyond!) But no longer will I let "who's there" dictate whether or not I attend an event & no longer will I pay money to hold up the wall! (Right hand on my heart and 2 fingers in the air) My name is Alikat & I will exercise better leadership in OKC nightlife! :)

Great blog, you are making a difference.....As we all should.

About Me

Soonerville, OKLAHOMA
Professional Photographer...