Last night I went and supported some good friends at a local spot in Oklahoma City that were playing some live music and performing some poetry. After enjoying an evening of spitting poetry and engaging in stimulating conversation, I decided to head across the street to the Skyy Bar to meet up with some friends. I was looking forward to chillin’ on the balcony and relaxing without my camera… The Skyy Bar had other plans for me that evening.
It seems like the guy working the door at the club had a problem with my attire. After showing him my ID for entry, he returned it to me and said, “I’m sorry but I can’t let you in… Your jeans are too baggy.” I stepped back and thought about my words carefully before I acted IGNUT… I explained to him that not only are my jeans not baggy BUT I wore those particular jeans because I knew I was going to that club and already “understood” their dress code and policies. He didn’t listen. He didn’t care. In fact, after I asked him to get a manager so that I could speak to them, he stepped back and I said, “I ain’t gettin’ nobody….” You can only imagine what my face looked like as I was staring this security guard dead in his eye. He obviously didn’t want my beautiful skin tone to be in the building.
Lets rewind to three hours prior to this nonsense… After sitting Indian style in my living room playing NCAA College Football ’09, I decided that I wanted to step out for the evening. Once I figured out where I was going, I took a shower and carefully picked out my evening attire. I decided on an Ed Hardy tee that I have owned for almost a year and worn only once and some stylish form fitting jeans from EXPRESS… Yes you read that right… EXPRESS!!!! Anyone that works/shops at Express KNOWS that they don’t sell baggy clothes unless you order 4 sizes bigger. In fact, my jeans fit so well that I didn’t even have to rock a belt with those joints. Feel me? I completed my outfit with some stylish black shoes and my signature wrist band.
Fast Forward to three hours later and THAT IS WHERE I STOOD… Looking mad as hell trying to tell the security guard that I wasn’t trying to start any trouble. I just wanted to meet up with some friends and have a good time. Finally one of the managers walked up and told the security guard to let me in. Right before I proceeded to walk in, I noticed some of my white counterparts walking out wearing some of the baggiest jeans I had ever seen. They were filled with holes and were severely wrinkled. When I saw that, I pointed them out to the security guard and told him in a very intellectual way that he was a d*ck head. Either it went over his bald head or he knew that he was wrong because he did not respond. No facial expression… no nothin’…
The first thing I did upon my entry was head to the balcony. I had to find a way to cool off and try to figure out the bigger picture. I passed up some friends on my way to the patio and explained to them my ordeal. One of my friends said, “Yeah man… They told me the same thing!” I sat there amazed at his story. The irony of the whole situation was that while we were all at the poetry spot, we joked about the entry policies of the Skyybar. We said things like, “I only wore THESE jeans because they won’t let me in later to the club if I had worn the other jeans in my closet…” We stated scenarios that went like this….”Although we fit the dress code, they aren’t going to let ALL of us in if we go together… Therefore, lets ‘stagger’ our entry in ten minute intervals so that they won’t feel ‘threatened’ by the presence of multiple Black men trying to get in at the same time. Don’t get me wrong. They usually let Black people in but only a certain type of brotha is permitted entry. Of course if you are a Sooner athlete you are GOOD! If you are one of the “Happy Negroes” that walks in with his white queen you are GOOD! Maybe by Red, Black, and Green wristband was too much for them… As if I was going to start some type of Obama Fundraiser by the DJ booth or something… but I digress…
How tight did they want my jeans to be? My gear was pretty snug if I do say so myself BUT if they had been any smaller I would have been telling ALL OF MY BUSINESS. It is no ones business that I had 35 cents in my pocket. (I will give you a second to figure that one out… lol) What did they want me to wear? SPANDEX JEANS OR SOMETHING??? Bleaching my skin would have been the only other alternative for entry and we all know THAT wasn’t going to happen. What is the world coming to when a college graduate in his late twenties can’t get into the club all because the security guard can’t see the imprint of his BALLS through his jeans? Black clubs like Spyce don’t turn away white patrons because their jeans are TOO SMALL! What type of crap would that be? I’m not going to pull the race card because THAT would just be TOO EASY. I will say that there are some ignorant dummies in this world that just so happen to be melanin deficient.
I am in no way saying that Black people shouldn't go the Skyybar. The message I'm trying to convey in this post is that Black people play by a different set of rules in life. I watched "Black In America" last week on CNN and it raised many different points. One point is for sure. Although every race plays the same game, our circumstances force us to play it differently. Even the previous week at the Skyybar the security guard (A different one and much cooler) stated that I had to "Lose the hat buddy...". I removed my hat and walked in and noticed EVERY ONE IN THERE HAD ON A DANG HAT. I had on a bucket hat that didn't have any gang colors or sports team that complimented the rest of my attire. Of course once I saw THAT, I quickly threw my hat back on... lol. Anyways, I heard many Black people complaining about the CNN special. They stated that they didn't "learn anything" from the special. Maybe it was THEIR ignorance but how could they not realize that the tv special was NOT for us? Of course I didn't learn anything NEW because I already know what it is like to be a Black Man in AmeriKKKa. That special was for NON blacks... It was for the white woman who sat next to my cube at my old job who would look me dead in my eye and tell me that racism doesn't exist anymore. It was for people who don't believe that Black people don't get profiled by law enforcement. It was for the people who had no idea that the education system wasn't created equal for Black people. How can you have "The American DREAM" when the stress and strife of LIFE keeps you awake? How could the only prominent Black man to have a DREAM gets shot and killed? Think about it...
I know I'm getting real long winded about this topic so I will just end it here. I'm about to head to Express and buy some more jeans... This time I'm going to go shop in the WOMENS SECTION and purchase some SPANDEX JEANS or something... HA!
-J. Wiggins
(You are more than welcome to start discussion or share your stories with me. You can either comment HERE or shoot me an email. Thanks in advance for your interest in this topic. jwiggins@conceptsproductions.com
If you like the Blog, become a FOLLOWER!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Concepts Productions
- Soonerville, OKLAHOMA
- Professional Photographer...
13 comments:
OMG!!!!!! I enjoyed the blog today..You are so hilarious...It's so sad that we still have to deal with racism... I hope you ended up having a good time after all
I hope the day ended well...but it's is funny to me that you spelled AmeriKKKa this way because I had been pondering a concept to write on about the new KKK...I guess the tale tells true...
This was an incredible blog. I'm sorry about what happened with you at Skkybar, but I've heard a lot of stories about that place...I've never had trouble because I'm a chick, but I've had many guy friends get turned away on some b.s. :-(
I also appreciated your thoughts about the BLACK IN AMERICA special. I too heard people complaining about it, and the funny thing is that the main ones who were griping, didn't even bother to tune in!! I dunno, maybe I'm naive, but the show I watched didn't show black folks in a negative light, and as you stated, it wasn't for US anyway, but whatever...some people thrive off ignorance.
great read :) very frustrating situation we have in our society.
Not surprised. You should have snagged a random Becky off the street to vouch for you. Maybe she could have helped you with your suburban street cred since the Ed Hardy/Express combo didn't do the trick.
But seriously, I know what you're getting @, especially with the last installment of Black in America. I was lucky enough to have a Q&A with Soledad and she raised some interesting points as to why she wanted to tell our story. She said even she was surprised by some of the things she learned.
As for my opinion, I think Black in America was for everyone. There were some things that I knew, but never had the scholarly evidence to support (i.e. having a "black" name or being a black applicant is = to having a felony...WHAT!?!) I mean some people might think that she aired our dirty laundry, but she was active she DID something instead of just COMPLAINING about it and she aired stories that needed to be told.
Hey Wigg,
Excellent commentary as usual. This type of mess is an aggrivating headache and its just crazy that it happens so often. Skky Bar isn't the only culprit either.
An associate of mine was given much grief at CitiWalk for having his shirt untucked and the bouncers feeling it was too long. My boy was 6 fricking 4, of course his shirt is gonna be long. You want him to shop for button ups at the baby gap?
I'm not even gonna start on Maker's gigging short dogg but not letting my boy Spence Browne perform with his group, because they don't allow rap. wtf.
Hell I've even seen the reverse when a group of us went to the "old spyce" and were heckled by others in line for being "City Walk N****s". really?!
Just a shame is all it is.
On a brighter note, I guess my peice that night did really inspire you lol.
"We all have reasons why we can't digest, the b.s. they feed us, but I digress..."~Brad
Hey Even though I was one of the friends on the balcony you told this story too but I looooved this "spandex jeans" version. seriously Every time a club does that to young black men you are almost guaranteed to walk in and see a young white man in an almost identical outfit, WITH a hat! lol and I wish more black people would read the part where you said "Black in America Was NOT for our information!" I couldn't help but feel the same way as I watched CNN's viewer response episode to black in america and how disappointed I was to hear that black people thought it was for them. Saying things like "tell us something we don't know" lol craziness
Preach on Brotha, Preach ON!! No but seriously, that is crazy I have only been to that club a couple of times and it just wasn't my style. It is crazy because there are some of "us" that will talk bad about a black club (i.e how ghetto it is etc...) but will go to "another" club get mistreated and spend their money at that establishment anyway. I feel like we all need to check ourselves and wake up. It is 2008 but some things will never change. Good story homie, oh and listen to me on Saturday nite 6pm-midnite on Power 103.5FM!!! KaRo(cheap plug...LOL) Holla Back at cha Girl!
I agree with you dont feel bad you are not alone on this it has come to a point in okc where you dont even want to step out if your a guy just over the hassle of this dress code thing,its mostly the bricktown clubs and even mangos, ladies you will never experience this because the less you wear the better for the club but comon lets be fair like the other day I couldnt get in to Rok bar just because I wasnt wearing a three piece suit I tried to explain to the doorguy im not wearing tennis shoes my wardrobe cost more then what you have on but you have a promblem over the length of my shirt and the fact its not tucked in in case you forgot this is oklahoma it is 100 degrees still at 11pm cant a guy b comfortable and stay cool there are ladies in here with shorts lil tank tops and skirts cool as can be but a guy cant get in because i dont want to be hot come on and its the guys that are paying for drinks and cover charges,I wouldnt say this is a racial thing but your right it just dosnt sound right ive been to clubs in bigger citys and Okc is the only one that trips like that over what you wear comon just because you shirt is not up to your standards donsnt mean we are there to start a gang fight if your a 21 and over club have some class and show that your capable of handling bigger problems then what length a size a guys shirt is. Ross
The same thing happened to me and my husband and our friends. First I will disagree with one thing you said and what another reader "Krish" said. First I am white and my name is becky,lol and I am my husbands white queen and we still got treated like crap!!! We were dressed up and new we were going there b/c my friend had VIP for her birthday. So we knew the dress code. As soon as we get there, they start trippin with my husband and her's. I told the guy we even had vip and still wouldn't let us in. He was the biggest as. Thank god tony knew the security guard from football and let us in. What really pissed me off is that two white guys came in with shorts, t-shirt, hat AND tennis shoes. I was heated. I just feel like i read the exact same thing that happened to us. That was our first experience there and Definatly our LAST!!
Christie - You are right. It is sad that things like that STILL happen in AmeriKKKa...
Jordan - Yes sir. I have a poem that I perform often that talks about that. I'm sure you have heard it. I can't wait to hear your new joints concerning this issue. You are a very insightful and inspirational writer. Keep doing what you do son..
Shantel - People LOVE ignorance. You should hear some of the conversations that I have had with some African Americans about this series. I have heard some of the DUMBEST comments I have ever heard in my life. We must think OUTSIDE the box but it seems like most Black people don't mind just simply being INSIDE the box... Ahh well.
Richard - I appreciate that man!
Krish - Too too funny... I random Becky off the street? CLASSIC! Too a certain extent, you do need someone to vouch for you. In fact, the young lady working the door just so happen to be an acquaintance from highschool. When the manager walked up, she said I was "cool" and he granted me entry.
I feel you on the Black in America comments as well. I believe that those were stories that needed to be told. The applicant thing is a SCARY thing that I have heard a few times. That is part of the reason why I decided a few years ago to go by "Jay" instead of my government name. Hmm... Your comment was on point and I appreciate that!
-CONT-
Anonymous #1 (Brad) - That is too funny... 6'4"? Baby Gap? I'm dying over here. I have some friends like that and they get harassed all the time. In fact, just a few weeks ago I ran into one of my oldschool friends from back in the day. He stated that he was going to go to club around the corner (In Bricktown) and all I could say was "Good Luck..." He has a bald head and stands about 6 foot five inches. His pants were not baggy and his shirt was not tucked in. (I don't think I have ever seen a cat that tall tuck his shirt in... real unhetero...) The thing about it is that although he looks extremely intimidating, he is one of the coolest and FUNNIEST dudes I have ever met. I'm sure they took one look and began thinking of excuses of why they weren't going to let him in. Sad Sad Sad...
I had no idea about the makers situation. Spence Brown is definitely is the secret ingredient in the group Shortt Dogg that makes the whole recipe taste so much better. I'm sorry to hear that.
Lois - Obviously Black men have to follow different rules/dress codes in the club scene. So sad but true. My job is to shoot NIGHT LIFE so of course I see various crowds of people. Wearing some spandex jeans isn't going to prevent me from fighting someone or causing trouble. What they WANT me to do is get mad and say something like, "I'm NEVER COMING BACK HERE AGAIN!!!" IF I say that, the enemy will be the victor... I'm smart enough to flip it on them. I'm going BACK next Tuesday. As you know, Tuesday nights are FREE and everyone knows that I don't drink. Therefore, I wouldn't be giving that establishment ANY of my money but I will provide them with my presence.
Anonymous #2 (Karo) - Please check out the comment I made to Lois. They will NOT be receiving my money but I WILL be in the BUILDING. I have many friends that are in the Law field and I will be gathering more information about my rights as a patron and their rights as an establishment. You are right when you state that we need to "WAKE UP"...
Anonymous #3 (Ross) - Although we as African Americans do face discrimination concerning our style of dress, we must take a look at ourselves and realize that some of our selections of outfits are GARBAGE... I have seen brothas wear white tees that go down all the way to their ankles as if THAT is pimpin' or something. Since when did night gowns become popular among black men? We need to understand that "Doo Rags" are an essential part in our hair care/maintenance but they ARE NOT supposed to be a part of our outfit. What would you think if you saw a female in the club with rollers in her hair? Wearing a doo rag to the club is the equivalent in MY opinion... Although I don't wear Jordans, I have nothing against them. I have seen some brothas with some very fly kicks. I just don't understand why they choose to wear them with a $7 shirt. That never made any sense to me either but I digress. We need to do our part too.
-CONT-
Becky - I died when I read your comment because your name is Becky and I know you personally. Way too funny! One point is for certain, your husband was granted entry BECAUSE someone he knew recognized him from the football field. That fits into the category that I previously discussed. Besides, the comments that Krish and I made were more satirical then true hollywood story. The truth is it doesn't matter WHO we are with. IF we are Black, our attire will be put into question and that isn't a cool thing. You stated that when you guys attempted to enter skybar, they started trippin on YOUR husband and HERS even after you told them you guys had VIP. One thing is for certain I'm sure... Your entry and the entry of your female was NEVER in question and I'm willing to bet all the money in my wallet on that. A gentlemen that works that club scene informed me via email that most of the clubs have a %10 Black entry rate. It turns out that many of the establishments don't want to be known as a "Black Club" and scare off many of the white patrons that attend. Sounds crazy huh? Some of my friends and I have always made jokes about this but it sounds like this may actually be a reality. I respect your comments and I appreciate your post. Tell Tony I said waddup!
Thanks to everyone who left a comment on this issue. It really means alot! It shows me that you not afraid to read and have an opinion. THAT is definitely wassup! Stay blessed America...
-J. Wiggins
Post a Comment