If you like the Blog, become a FOLLOWER!!!

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

R.I.P. A Ray (When I Go... Part 1)

It is funny how life changes in the blink of an eye. One minute you are the LIFE of the party and enjoying the people around you. The next minute people are around you reflecting on their memories about you and your life. I have learned so many things throughout my lifetime. One thing is for certain… Today is definitely a gift and that is why we call it the present. It very important that you make the most of every single day.

The other day, I received some news that I guy I knew named Arthurray (A Ray) had passed away. The first thing that came to mind was just how I talked to him just three weeks ago. I’m not going to front and act like we were best buddies or something like that because we weren’t. We were simply acquaintances that were vital parts of some of the same circles. He was a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity and I am a member of Alpha Phi Alpha. We shared some of the same friends and saw each other often.

When we first met, I must admit that I didn’t like that dude. Imagine trying to shake someone’s hand before a charity basketball game and they just look at your hand and walk away. Lol… I can laugh about it now but back then I was PISSED… I was actually pissed for years. It turns out that he didn’t like me or any other Alpha for that matter. I never really looked at him as some type of hater. I just looked at him as a man that was EXTREMELY down for his fraternity. Nothing wrong with that because I knew he surrounded himself with some other Omega men that I respected and I knew that they would help him grow up.

On a cold and depressing January day, my phone rang and it was a young lady on the other end. She was helping A Ray plan a party that was supposed to take place on February 14th. She explained to me all of the great things that was going to set this event apart from every other party and how they needed my photography services to capture the event. I was sold. When I asked her who was throwing the party, she told me the name of the company. I stated to her that I was unfamiliar with that company and she replied with, “You know… A Ray and them…” I must admit that I was extremely surprised. Especially since going through the previous 4 years of not being cool with each other. I never considered us enemies but I never thought that he would ever want to hire me to shoot a party for him. At that point, I thought that I must be a damn good photographer if a cat that doesn’t like me wants to utilize my services. Lol… Once I came to reality, I realized that he was young man trying to grow up. I was excited to shoot his event the following month.

After I took the photographs for the party, I could honestly say that we were cool. He always went out of his way to say waddup and he was actually much cooler than he had been in the past. In fact, he would call me from time to time to ask me questions about handling business and to share with me some of his ideas. He even expressed to me one day about how he enjoyed my blogs and was interested in starting one for himself. I was pleased that I was able to inspire someone to share their thoughts with the world. That was definitely a great look.

About a month later, A Ray and about 12 other people were involved in a very heated debate on a thread on facebook. The debate was concerning the interaction between Alphas and Deltas. He was very upset about some of the hand sign combinations displayed on some of the images and decided to voice his concern. If you ever knew A Ray, you know that he doesn’t bite his tongue for ANYONE. Lol… Although he had a few valid points, I had to send him a personal message explaining to him how he needed to calm down and how it really wasn’t that serious. I must admit that his response surprised me.

“Wigg i know i took it a lil too far bro. But i am just tryin 2 get them 2 understand bro. i have no beef with the apes or anybody else. I just hate it when these chicks gettin into a sorority and they dOnt know they history or roots you feel me? i am good though.”


I was shocked. I knew that on July 18th 11:51am facebook time that A Ray was growing up. I was proud. I knew that he respected me as an older Greek and valued my opinion. I never got the chance to tell him that. In fact, after I read his message I just smiled and logged out of facebook. On hindsight, I wish I would have said SOMETHING. I wish I would have told him so many different things. Hindsight will always be 20/20 and it can be difficult to deal with the fact that your words could have changed someone’s life. I guess that is why I try my best to give compliments to people all the time… cause you just never know.

Instead of dwelling on the fact that A Ray is no longer with us, I would rather spend this time celebrating the lives of the people and some of my favorite Omegas that are still here. Shouts out to Ques like Steven, Will, Marvin, and Jerrel who I always looked up even till this day. I never told them that so THERE IT IS! Thanks for everything! Shouts out to Michael White who believed that we could throw a successful party in Norman and have fun doing it. I appreciate that son! Shouts out go to Jason Phenix for blessing me with the opportunity to shoot your wedding coming up on August 16th. We have come a long way since our UCO days and I’m excited for the opportunity to share your special day with you and your new family. Shouts out to Mario Valcin for believing in Concepts Productions and my nightlife photography even before I believed in myself. Believe it or not, your words and motivation helped me to get the swagger and confidence that I have today. That’s wassup chief! Shouts out to Carrington Scott (DJ Whoop azz) for believing in me and helping me dream big! Thanks for letting me provide you with some business advice and business connects. Shouts out to Michael Hoggatt for being the cool cat he has always has always been and for being my workout partner last September. I appreciate you son! Shouts out to Bryan Lampkins for probably being one of the most “Swaggeriffic” Ques on the planet. Keep doing your thing man! Shouts out to Byron Graham for always being that down for whatever type dude. You are always down to have fun and have never been afraid to wreck some Ques in front of me… lol (Just kidding) Keep doing YOU. Shouts out to “Dat Boy K” Kelvin for teaching me all of those Lil Wayne lyrics… lol… (inside joke) Shouts out to Jarrett Evans for being cool enough to share the same line name as me even though you chose an effed up way to spell it… LMAO! I appreciate you and everything you have done for me over the years. And LAST but certainly not LEAST, Pastor Coleman for showing me that it is cool for young brothers like myself to go to church and be submerged in the word of Christ. I never told you this but you were actually the first pastor that helped me UNDERSTAND the bible. 5th street makes me excited to go to church every Sunday. You made my father proud of me when I told him that I wake up all by myself and go to church.

“If you admire somebody you should go ahead and tell ‘em… People never get the flowers while they can still smell them” was the famous quote written by Mr. Kanye West. R.I.P. A Ray. I will see you when I get there son! CHEA!

-J. Wiggins



**UPDATE**
Arthurray's family is having problems financing the funeral and DESPERATELY NEEDS YOUR HELP! Please make donations to

Bank of America
McElroy Account
acct #488012783160
Zipcode 75044
For questions, please call 512.296.7464

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Valid point Wigg. Today is a gift, we take sooo much for granted. Just think if we knew today or tomorrow would be our last day what we do different? I've lost quite a few close people in my 36 years. Literally talked to them and within 24 hours they where gone. Gave me a whole new perspective on life, relationships, and my love ones. I will definately keep all in my prayers. He was well known. God Bless you for sharing this and God bless and keep his family and friends.

Shantel said...

Great blog as always.

You're right, we all should make the most of each day and be thankful for every moment because we never know when our last breath will be.

I also feel you on the fact that we should tell the people in our lives how much we love them, care about them, look up to them, etc because waiting until tomorrow may be too late.

My condolences.

Ed The Sports Fan said...

That's why I mess with people of your ilk. RIP Arthurray, hooks up bruh.

-Ed.
www.edthesportsfan.com

Anonymous said...

Well I must say it truly is a small world because a friend of mine (an Omega) was close friends with Arthurray & took his passing really hard. Although I never met him my friend shared several stories with me about him so I knew of him so to speak..... We mos def need to value life, the people around us and in our lives each and every day. So in case I haven't told you J....you are appreciated!

The death of someone we know always reminds us that we are still alive - perhaps for some purpose which we ought to re-examine. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

About Me

Soonerville, OKLAHOMA
Professional Photographer...