If you like the Blog, become a FOLLOWER!!!

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hip Hop 101 - Rhyme and Reason Part 1.

Hip Hop is a BEAUTIFUL culture. It has the power to change lives and impact communities. I'm not going to spend a lot of time discussing the various elements of Hip Hop and I don't deem it necessary for me to go into depth about the culture in todays society. I'm going to keep this simple and share with you the lyrics of song that I think is very clever and was created before its time.

The Brooklyn Born rapper Special Ed released "I Got It Made" in 1989 when he was only 16 years old. His word play was amazing even as a teenager and he was able to captivate his audience with his smooth conversational flow. Here are the lyrics to this pseudo classic hip hop song that I still enjoy listening to. ENJOY!

"I GOT IT MADE" - Special Ed

[verse 1]
I'm your idol, the highest title, numero uno
I'm not a Puerto Rican, but I'm speakin so that you know
and understand I got the gift of speech
and it's a blessin,
so listen to the lesson I preach
I talk sense condensed into the form of a poem
full of knowledge from my toes to the top of my dome
I'm kinda young--but my tongue speaks maturity
I'm not a child, I don't need nothin for security
I get paid when my record is played-to put it short
I got it made

[verse 2]
I'm outspoken-
my language is broken into a slang
but it's just a dialect that I select when I hang
I play it cool-cuz coolin is all that I'm about
just foolin wit tha girlies, yes I'm bustin it out
I'm Special Ed and you can tell by the style that I use
I'm creatively superior, yo-I never lose
I never lost cuz I'm the boss
I never will cuz I'm still
the champion, chief one, won't lose until-
I choose

which I won't cuz I don't retreat
I'll run you over like a truck and leave you dead in the street
You're invitin me, a titan to a battle-why?
I don't need your respect cuz I-
got it made

[verse 3]
I'm talented, yes I'm gifted
never boosted, never shoplifted
I got the cash, but maoney ain't nothin
make a million dollars every record that I cut and-
my name is Special Ed and I'm a super-duper star
ever other week I get a brand new car
Got twenty, that's plenty yet I still want more
kinda fond of honda scooters-got seventy-four
I got the riches-to fulfill my needs
got land in the sand of the West Indies
even got a little island of my very own-
I gotta frog-a dog with a solid gold bone
An accountant to account the amount I spent
gotta treaty with Tahiti cuz I own a percent
got gear out wear-to everyday
boutiques from France to the U.S.A.
and I make all the money from the rhymes I invent
so it really doesn't matter-how much I spent, because, yo
I make fresh rhymes-daily
you burn me-really?
Think, just blink and I made-a million rhymes
just imagine if you blinked- a million times
damn I'd be paid-
I got it made

[verse 4]
I'm kinda spoiled
cuz everything I want I got made
I wanted gear-got everything from cotton to suede
I wanted lead-I didn't beg I just got laid
My hair was growin too long, so I got me a fade
and when my dishes got dirty, I got Cascade
when the weather was hot, I got a spot in the shade
I'm wise because I rise to the top of my grade
wanted peace on Earth, so to God I prayed
Some kids across town thought I was afraid
they couldn't harm me-
I got the army brigade
I'm not a trader
if what you got is greater I'll trade
but maybe later cuz my waiter made potato -n- alligator souflee-
I got it made


If you are younger than 25, you are probably scratching your head and wondering who the hell Special Ed is... You also probably think that 2Pac invented Hip Hop... Its cool. If you are a Windows based PC, please click on the "X" on the top right of this screen to exit this post and if you are on a MAC, the "X" can be found on the top left. lol.... You are definitely in the wrong place. HA! I will be posting more classic hip hop lyrics in the near future so stay tuned... Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think everybody hit the "x" on that one. Special Ed, Kool Moe Dee, LL (the old LL), NWA (put a whole new sound out there), and the list can go on and on all the way to when Master P changed the game when he first blew up with "Ice Cream Man." Old school hip hop, I love it. Not the "stuff" that comes out these days....
TrisDogg
AKA
Black-N-Mild#1

Shantel said...

I used to have a huge crush on him when I was younger (guess it was the hair?)...but you know I don't know any of his lyrics...I was a Kwame' fan! (just playing)

Anonymous said...

You can never go wrong when speaking about old school hip hop. Special Ed was definitely a pioneer to true hip hop. I was born in 77' so i was born to understand alot of the oldschool hip hop. Busy Bee, kOOL g RAP,kOOL Mo Dee, Mc Shan, Krs-1, Big Daddy Kane, Sugar hill gang,Whodini, Mc Lyte,Roxanne Shantae,Kangol Kid, and you can't forget about the djs Dj Scott la rock,Jazzy Jeff,Jazzy jay,Kool Herc, Grand master flash, Dj Red Alert,Mixmaster DXT( Created the the scratch sound on herbie hancock"Rock iT). That's when hip hop was fun. Keep schoolin them on the oldschool hip hop J Wigg and if anybody wants a copy I have My Back to the future cd which will take you back and show you how it was done!!! Peace

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Quest... "You can never go wrong when speaking about old school hip hop." Unlike old school rap, which was first based on disco hits (e.g. Rapper's Delight was based on Good Times by Chic) and later consisted of electronic grooves (e.g. Planet Rock, the first electro funk track) while still often retaining melodies, new school rap first focused on simple electronic beats. And that is what is wrong with most music these days. To save money and/or time, the artist goes with a simple fast electronic beat. AND THAT IS BORING!!! So yes keep schoolin the people on when music was fun and the artist care more about the music and less about the $$$. One Love

Anonymous said...

Hip-Hop was Party Music!!! OK i'm done.

About Me

Soonerville, OKLAHOMA
Professional Photographer...