Although we don't speak on the phone as often as we should, our conversations are always very interesting when we do speak. We start off by asking one another WHY we haven't called the other person then proceed to each create excuses of WHY we haven't. lol... We then move onto work and politics. They both go hand in hand and that is probably why we discuss both of them simultaneously. Everyone hates politics and work always sucks... but we need both to survive and be free. The conversation will include everything from President Obama to "how the ladies were lookin' in Jamaica." The next convo is always relationship heavy as he weaves in and out of discussing my ex girlfriends and current interests. The conversations can become very interesting to say the least. Everything happens for a reason and he constantly reminds me that women come and go and to just be patient.
My Pops always drops some type of knowledge every single phone conversation that we have. I remember about a year ago, he said one of the poignant things I had ever heard. He said, "Son, don't be afraid to fall in love..." I think my draw dropped to the floor once I heard that. I try my best to share relationship info with him. Not because I want him to know the details of my relationships... simply because I'm letting him know indirectly that I am no longer that 15 year old kid at 1311 Shasta Drive on the southside of Colorado Springs. I have grown into a man that has had his fair share of heartbreaks and good times. I asked him what he meant by that and he began to explain. He stated that he understands how I feel because he has been there before. He has seen my tears flow in reverse as they drowned my heart with sorrow. He has watched me walk around the house pretending as if everything was ok but really I was hurting. He has seen my swagger and confidence go from a cool 6 o' clock straight up and down to a crooked 3:30. He knew my relationship patience had run out. It was kinda like my relationship patience was a fly ball at Fenway park in Boston and my Pops' advice was the outfielder trying to catch the ball before it got over the "Green Monster". As crazy as my similes are they are true. I'm terrified to death when it comes to falling in love..
I remember playing minor league baseball when I was 8 years old. Getting on base was fun and it was even better if I had the chance to score. Nothing compared to hitting a homerun when my team depended on it... or stealing second base successfully even when the catcher has the jump on you. The most humiliating thing for an 8 year old playing baseball is to strike out. The umpire would tell strike and the batter was forced to turn around and walk away. That action was usually followed by my head hanging low and tears running down my face. My pops would call them "horse tears" for some reason. (I'm not sure if he had ever seen a horse cry or not... I'm just sayin'....) After crying like a baby, I remember my Pops snatching me up by the jersey and telling me to dry my tears in a way that only a military sergeant could. "Did anyone hit you? If not, why the hell are you crying for?" he yelled in my face. The way I felt then is the same thing when my "love" doesn't work. I'm humiliated... I turn around, walk away, and let the tears flow down my face. No one hit me but my body and soul always feels like it was hit by a cement truck or something. I can only imagine what that feels like in real life. Love brings you visions of marriage, children, and happiness but when it doesn't work it seems like your whole world gets dark. One minute you are thinking about how there is no way that you could live without your partner. The next minute (Or month after the break up..) you find yourself "living" without your partner.
So after all that, my Pops is telling me that I shouldn't be afraid to go through all of that all over again. How crazy is that? Perhaps it isn't crazy at all. A wise man once said, "Fall down 7 times and get up 8..." I'm afraid to get up. A part of me just wants to lay here because it is comfortable here and it feels safe. The other half of me wants to
"Put on my boxing gloves, knuckle up and do it all over again"as quoted the very first poem I wrote back in 2001 entitled "TKO". Needless to say, Pops is right. I shouldn't be afraid to fall in love. I shouldn't have a fear of a relationship not working. It happens. I shouldn't be afraid to trust people because "man" will always fail you. I shouldn't be afraid to give someone my heart because the worst that can happen is they give it back to me. I can't be afraid to fall in love because I just might be missing out on a blessing... Geez... Pops is right. "I Love you Pops". HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
J. Wiggins
6.19.09
4 comments:
I appreciate this blog Wiggy, love is probably the best and the worst thing that can happen to a person all at the same time. To trust another person with your heart is a very scary thing. But to live life being afraid to be hurt is probably worse i think. Like you said, man WILL fail you. but sometimes love works and when it does it is such an amazing feeling. Truly loving someone through the good and bad. Truly for who they are RIGHT NOW, not who you want them to become or who they used to be, is like that feeling you get when the sun hits your face in the morning and you realize God gave you another chance. I Love you and thank you for sharing your life with us. Ive learned so much about myself through learning about you.
Corey =]
Many happy birthday wishes to your pops! Once again another great blog!
A bell is no bell 'til you ring it,
A song is no song 'til you sing it,
And love in your heart
Wasn’t put there to stay -
Love isn’t love
'Til you give it away.
~Oscar Hammerstein, Sound of Music
Mannnn Wigg, you jerked my heart with this one. Happy Birthday to the Original Wigg! Wow, deep breath...... Dealing with a heartbreak is a devistating thing
especially the first time, not junior high, or high school for me but right in the middle of the peek of my life bammmmm....for me it was a feeling that I've never felt before. I would say it broke my innocence. I wasn't ready (don't know if you can be) Husband, 2 kids, beautiful family stripped from my world. It's been 4 years now. Do I feel like I can love again??? Yes Wigg I do, When loving it's like driving you just gotta do your part! You can't control the other drivers...if you wreck will you never drive again???? although I will be very careful who I give my heart to next time because I do believe that the heart is just like any other part of the body. If you allow someone to continue to cause trama to it, it will eventually be useless.
Because people aren't perfect. You can't avoid hurt in a relationship, but I can do without the pain!!! Thanks for sharing if I made a list of men I respect the most you would make the top 5!
Wow! Ok so I'm reading this blog and the whole time I was thinking it was new and then as I continued to scroll down I see the comment I left 4 years ago! Time flies! You know how you can read a scripture one day and it speaks to you in one way then you come across that same scripture weeks, months or years later and it speaks to you in a whole new way? Or how you can hear a song and it's your jam and then you don't hear it again for a while but when you finally do hear it years later it moves you even more because now you can relate to lyrics on a personal level... Yeah, I just had that experience right now. I think I need to take the Original Wigg's advice as well! I'm still under construction though.
Post a Comment