Many people have stopped me and asked me WHY are Knowledge and I doing these restaurant reviews. "Are you some type of food expert or something?" My answer is always NO. I don't have special taste buds or any type of talent that allows me to make professional assessments about culinary delights better than everyone else. We are simply brothas with opinions that seem to carry weight. The fact that we are not being paid to do this (all by design of course) allows us to be honest and not jeopardize the integrity of our post. At the end of the day, we KNOW the food is good at the places we visit... our purpose is to see if it lives up to high expectations of others. We aim to keep it "100" percent honest and real. Our restaurant reviews are meant to do the following things for our readers/viewers.
1) Inform you if the place lives up to the type.
2) To let you know if the price is economical or not.
3) Enlighten you on other restaurant options
In a nutshell, we answer the questions that everyone wants to know the answers to. I remember doing the review about Warren Theatres last summer, the sole purpose was to see if Warren lived up to the hype and the price. I went in with an unbiased mind and open wallet to indulge in the "Warren Experience". I sat in the balcony, ordered food, and enjoyed a dope movie. I'm not saying that the average joe would not have went to Warren to try it out... I'm simply saying that people didn't have to play trial and error with their wallets if they didn't want to. Balcony vs Stadium seating was the biggest concern and the difference was and still is about 6 to 8 bucks depending on what time of day you go. Now you know the method behind our madness. Does it all make sense now? Fa sho.
With that being said, we decided to go to Red Horse Grill and enjoy a burger and some chili cheese fries. A month ago, a friend of mine told me about Red horse at the barbershop. He swore up and down that they had the best burgers and fries. I guaranteed his statement so much that he told me that he would PAY for mine after he finished getting his hair cut. Since I'm not one to turn down free food, I decided to go see what his type was about. I went... I ate... I got sleepy... and well... You know... I just had to get a second opinion. The food could not have been THAT good. I decided to hit up my boy Knowledge and see if he wanted to do another review. I wanted to see if the food would live up to MY HYPE. Check out the video and let me know what you think. You can either follow the youtube link or click the Concepts link if your job does not permit youtube at work. Your comments are ALWAYS welcome!
-J. Wiggins of Concepts Productions
The burger no longer gets respect. These days, anyone can throw a half-way seasoned ground beef patty between two slices of bread and call it a burger. It’s pathetic. I thought only one local spot in Oklahoma was doing the burger right these days: Irma’s Burger Shack. Now I have to add another to the list: the Red Horse Grill in Norman.
Wait, we need a little context. Let me give you a crash course in burgerology. You have your low-class burgers that are little more than meat and bread (McDonalds, etc.). Then you have your middle class burgers—decent meat and bread, but not great (Wendy’s, Burger King). Next are the upper-middle class burgers: good meat, good seasoning, and fresh bread (Braum’s, Carl Junior’s, etc.). Then you have your really good restaurant burgers; these are burgers better than you will find at any fast food joint—on the low end, you have Friday’s; on the high end you have Charleston’s and Red Robin. Finally, you have burgers that are indescribably good. In DC you’ll find this burger at Five Brothers; in Atlanta, it’s at George’s Restaurant &Bar; in OKC, you can choose two places: Irma’s Burger Shack (an established spot) or, as mentioned above, the Red Horse Grill in Norman.
There is nothing to talk about except the burger. No one goes into a burger joint for ambience; no one goes into a burger joint for the wine selection. The burger is king. All else is supercilious.
Well, maybe not all else: the chili-cheese fries are, as is colloquially articulated, “off the chain.” (The where, what, who, and how of this metaphysical chain remains a mystery to me—but I digress.) Real chili, not that warmed up mess. This chili has spent some time slow cooking. And the shakes/malts “make you wanna slap yo mama” so this may not be exactly what one may call a family friendly place.
But the burger… Well, the burger is… Hell, it’s good. Perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked, and you put your own toppings on the burger at the salad bar so there is no chance of them messing it up. It’s not perfect, but close.
I highly recommended it. Go now. Seriously, get up now, and drive to Norman.
What are you waiting for?
-Knowledge
1 comment:
Nice Review, sounds good. Hafta make a trip through and enjoy.
If your in Tulsa and want a unbelievably awesome mushroom and swiss burger (heck all of them are excellent!) with 'beer battered' fries, and a shake that will have you literally slapping people, hit up Mack's Grill 81st and South Lewis. *drools*
Post a Comment