
I wear my wristband for one reason. It serves as a constant reminder of where I came from and where I want to go. The red, black, and green are actually colors of mother Afrika. The red stands for the bloodshed of my ancestors… The green stands for the rich and fertile land of mother AfriKa… The black stands for the land of the people with black faces. I believe that one must understand their past so that they can move into the future. From there I flip it and take it a step further. My wristand is a constant reminder of my humble beginnings with Concepts Productions. I remember going to my first party to take pics and people were laughing at me. I remember practically begging people to allow me to capture their images and they still told me NO. Needless to say, I have come a long way.
By wearing my wristband, I’m constantly thinking about how I need to attack every photography project with the same intensity no matter who I am shooting. It doesn’t matter if I’m shooting a local college event here in Oklahoma or shooting a Diddy party in Washington DC, I try to create and deliver the strongest images possible. Anyone who has ever allowed me to capture their image at a social function has seen me hold up my infamous “1,2,3” count with my left hand. I always look at my wristband with my peripheral vision so I can be reminded with every frame I capture.
So when people say, “Your wristband is so 4 years ago!” I just laugh… When people say, “You think you are Jamaican huh?” I just laugh… My wristband means so much more than that. Thanks for reading this blog and supporting Concepts Productions.
-J. Wiggins
2 comments:
That's awesome. I noticed the wrist band in some of your pics, good to know the "true" meaning behind it. Good luck in all your endeavors.
I know this is an old blog but I clicked on the link while I was reading your most recent "50th Blog". I feel like if more people took and interest and educated themselves on their history/ancestry then our race would move forward as a whole instead of having this crabs in a bucket-fuckit mentality. My great-grandmother was a slave & alot of our people are still slaves unaware & aware but don't care. I feel Spike Lee at the end of School Daze, "WAAAAAKKKE UUUUUPPPP!"
Post a Comment